This easy, tasty cream cheese dip with bacon and onion has incredible flavor, and is the perfect easy-to-make appetizer for parties and potlucks. Sometimes called “crack dip,” it’s not uncommon for guests to scrape the bowl clean and beg for the recipe!
If you like the flavor of classic French onion dip, you’ll love the flavor of golden brown, caramelized onions in this dip.
By blending cream cheese and sour cream (no mayo), you get the most creamy base for the addition of cheddar cheese and crispy, crunchy, amazing bacon. (We use a similar creamy blend for the filling of our delectable Jalapeno Popper Wontons.)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure statement.
Why You’ll Go Hog Wild for This Recipe
This easy party appetizer takes just 35 minutes to make.
Your guests will love the combination of the creamiest dip loaded with crumbled cooked bacon, caramelized onions, and melting cheddar cheese!
You can easily double this recipe for bigger crowds.
It’s easy to make ahead of time. Just warm it before serving with your favorite dippers (see ideas below), and enjoy the party!
Ingredients and Substitutions
From the top, here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese – We like sharp cheddar in this recipe, but you can use medium, Colby, or whatever you like.
1 large onion – A sweet onion like Vidalia adds especially nice flavor, but any onion will work fine.
2 cups sour cream – We used full fat sour cream in this recipe, but feel free to use low-fat if you prefer. You can also substitute Greek yogurt for some or all of the sour cream if you like.
Chopped chives – For extra flavor as a garnish. You can use chopped green onions if you prefer, or skip this.
4 ounces cream cheese – Philadelphia cream cheese is always a favorite, but you can use store brand, too.
freshly ground black pepper
1 pound bacon – You can used smoked or unsmoked, cured or uncured, thick or regular sliced. It’s totally up to you!
Here’s what you’ll need to prepare this recipe:
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife or kitchen scissors to chop bacon
- A large skillet for frying bacon and cooking onion
- A slotted spoon for removing the bacon from the pan
- Paper towels for draining bacon
- A spatula for combining ingredients
- A serving bowl
Step by Step Instructions
Cut the bacon in 1/2-inch pieces, using a sharp knife or kitchen shears.
Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until it’s golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat. (We always strain and keep bacon drippings, a.k.a. “liquid gold,” for cooking and baking; do you? Here’s more info about what to do with bacon grease.)
Use a slotted spoon to drain the cooked bacon on a double layer of paper towels.
Cook the chopped onion in the bacon pan drippings over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown.
To easily soften cream cheese, warm it in the microwave in a heatproof dish. Use 50% power and heat in 15-second increments until it stirs easily.
In a serving dish, combine the sour cream and softened cream cheese until smooth.
Sprinkle in the shredded cheese and stir to combine.
Next, add the warm caramelized onions and stir until blended.
Add most of the cooked, drained bacon bits, saving a handful for garnish.
Stir until well blended.
Garnish with reserved bacon bits, sprinkle with chopped chives, and serve with your favorite chips.
Pro Recipe Tips
Make sure the cream cheese is completely softened before combining it with the sour cream. This will help the flavors blend completely.
Add the caramelized onions while they’re still warm. This will make the cheese melt slightly, which makes the dip even better.
Because this hearty dip is loaded with tasty ingredients, sturdy dippers work best. See ideas below!
Feel free to add additional ingredients to personalize the flavors of this delicious bacon cream cheese dip to suit your tastebuds!
Here are some ideas for add-ins:
- One 4 ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ranch dip seasoning
- A finely minced clove of garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- A dash of your favorite hot sauce
If you prefer a hot dip, you can serve this in a mini crock pot set on Low temperature.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover dip may be stored in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped, for up to 2 days.
The cream cheese in this dip thickens as it cools, so you’ll want to warm it up before serving. Gently heat the dip in the microwave on medium 50% power for a minute or two, or reheat in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until warm, about 3-4 minutes.
What to Serve with Bacon Cream Cheese Dip
This hearty dip pairs well with sturdy dippers, and there are so many yummy accompaniment possibilities! Here are some of our favorites:
- Ruffled potato chips
- Crisp fresh veggies
- Tortilla chips
- Seeded crackers
- Pita chips
- Carrot chips
- Pretzel thins
- Club crackers
- Bagel chips
Can You Serve Cream Cheese Dip Cold?
When this dip is chilled, it becomes firm. The best way to serve it cold is to roll it like a cheese ball (garnish the outside with more shredded cheese and crumbled bacon) or shape it in a log, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
Then, serve with sturdy crackers and a spreading knife.
More Popular Bacon Appetizers
Want to be the most popular guest at the party? Bring bacon snacks! Here are some of our favorites:
- Neiman Marcus Million Dollar Dip
- Jalapeno Popper Dip with Bacon
- Horseradish Dip with Bacon
- Parmesan Bacon Crackers
- Mini BLT Sliders
- Tater Tot Bacon Cheese Bites
We LOVE Your Reviews and Comments!
If you enjoy this Cream Cheese Dip with Bacon recipe, we’d be thrilled if you clicked on the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and left a rating! We love reading your comments, too!
Here’s the full, printable recipe:
Cream Cheese Dip with Bacon and Onion
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- chopped chives, for garnish
- chips for dipping
- Cut the bacon in 1/2-inch pieces, using a sharp knife or kitchen shears.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until it’s golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat. (Here’s what to do with bacon grease.) Use a slotted spoon to drain the cooked bacon on a double layer of paper towels.
- Cook the chopped onion in the bacon pan drippings over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown.
- Combine the sour cream and softened cream cheese in a serving bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and stir to combine. Next, add the caramelized onions and stir until blended.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cooked bacon for garnish, and stir the rest into the dip mixture.
- Stir until well blended. Garnish bowl with reserved bacon bits and chopped chives. Serve with chips for dipping. 8 servings.
ADD YOUR OWN PRIVATE NOTES
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes!
Got questions? Just ask! I’m happy to help.
If you post your creations on social media, tag #BENSABaconLovers so I can share! Thank you for your support. – Eliza
Nutrition Disclaimer: All nutritional information shared on this site is an approximation. I am not a certified nutritionist, and any nutritional information should be used as a general guideline.
Save for Later
If you use Pinterest to save and share ideas, here’s a handy pin: