These mini BLT sliders appetizers have all the vibrant flavors of your favorite bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich on a toothpick. They’re easy to pick up and eat, and your guests will love the flavors of these small bites — especially the crispy bacon!
Best of all, the recipe is super simple and the fresh colors look so pretty on the plate. The bright reds and greens make these BLT bites a perfect holiday appetizer.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure.
If you love small bites with bacon as much as we do, be sure to check out our roundup of 52 Best Bacon Appetizers.
- It’s a bite-sized BLT on a toothpick!
- Easy to eat, in just one tasty bite.
- You’ll love the fresh basil mayo in these baby sandwiches.
- The ingredients can be prepped in advance, so you can easily assemble the skewers on party day.
- With their colorful red and green layers, these bacon appetizers are perfect for the holidays.
Bacon – Thick sliced bacon works best for this recipe. The thicker slices add more flavor to the canapes, and they’re easier to skewer.
Fresh Basil – Use fresh basil leaves from the garden, or look for one of the live basil plants at the store. If you can’t find fresh basil, feel free to substitute dried basil.
Sesame Seeds – to sprinkle on the little “buns” for flavor and crunch. Sesame seeds are high in fat and therefore have a short shelf life, but the good news is that they freeze really well. I buy ours in bulk at Natural Grocers and store them in the freezer.
Lettuce – Use whatever type of lettuce you like, or whatever you have on hand: romaine, leaf lettuce, iceberg or butter lettuce.
Tomatoes – Summer tomatoes from the garden or farmer’s market are the best, but you can also use ripe regular market tomatoes. Beefsteak tomatoes are perfect for this recipe because they are fleshy with fewer seeds. If it’s the middle of winter and no decent tomatoes are available, use Roma tomatoes from the grocery store and let them ripen in the kitchen for a few days.
Mayonnaise – Real mayonnaise is best for this recipe. I’m partial to Duke’s or Hellman’s for their pure creamy deliciousness, but feel free to use your favorite brand. You can also use our tasty, creamy bacon aioli spread for this recipe!
Butter – you’ll just need a tablespoon of pure salted butter to melt and brush on the buns. If you only have unsalted butter on hand, no problem. Just sprinkle the buns with a little salt after baking.
Crescent Dough Sheets – to make the tiny buns. You can also use a tube of regular crescent rolls and simply press the seams together.
Step by Step Directions
These BLT appetizer skewers are so easy to make! Here are the simple steps.
Cut each strip of the bacon in 6 squares.
Cook the bacon until crispy, but not so well done that it shatters when you skewer it. You can cook bacon in the oven or in a skillet, whatever method you prefer. (We cooked these in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes.) Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Roll out or pat the crescent dough in a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
Using a round cutter, cut small circles of the dough.
Separate the dough circles using your fingers.
Move the dough circles to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and brush with melted butter.
Sprinkle the little buns with sesame seeds.
While the buns are baking, chop the basil and whisk it with salt and pepper into the mayonnaise.
Let the little buns cool. Cut the tomatoes in small squares and cut or tear the lettuce in 1-inch pieces.
Spread the little buns with the basil mayonnaise and assemble the skewers, adding the bacon, lettuce and tomato in whatever order you like.
What to Serve with these BLT Finger Sandwiches
For easy entertaining, we love putting out a variety of appetizers and finger foods on the buffet table and letting guests help themselves. Here are some of our favorite hors d’oeuvres:
These small bites are also perfect with afternoon tea, or served on the side with a nice bowl of soup.
Here’s the web story for these mini BLT bites.
If you’re looking for a meal-sized BLT, be sure to check out our recipe for the Best BLAT Sandwich featuring bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato!
If you have leftovers (we realize this isn’t a likely scenario), these appetizers can be tightly covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Mini BLT Sliders
- round cookie cutter
- baking sheet
- small whisk
- pastry brush
- parchment paper
- aluminum foil
- wood appetizer picks
- 6 strips thick cut bacon
- 1 tube crescent dough sheet* 8 ounces
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup real mayonnaise
- 8 large basil leaves finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large tomatoes each cut in 12 bite-sized pieces
- 3-4 large lettuce leaves torn to make 36 total bite-sized pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil topped with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Cut each strip of the bacon in 6 squares, for a total of 36 squares. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet and bake until bacon is browned and crispy, about 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Discard the foil and parchment paper from the baking sheet. Line with a fresh sheet of parchment paper. Increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out or pat the crescent dough on a lightly floured work surface in a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a round cutter, cut 72 small circles of the dough. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 10-11 minutes. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
- While the buns are baking, make the basil mayo. Whisk the basil into the mayonnaise in a small dish. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread the mayonnaise on the flat toasted side of 36 of the buns; these will be the tops.
- To assemble the appetizers, thread one bun toasted size up, one tomato, one lettuce piece, and one bacon piece. Press the top buns on the skewer, mayonnaise side down, and gently press the layers together. Arrange on a platter, serve and enjoy!
If you enjoy this appetizer recipe for Mini BLT Sliders, we’d be thrilled if you clicked the little stars above and gave the recipe a 5-star rating.
We love sharing our best recipes with Weekend Potluck!