If you’re looking for a hearty breakfast recipe, you’ll love this Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Sausage. It features everyone’s favorite breakfast flavors: crispy tater tot potatoes, eggs and cheese, crispy bacon and delicious sausage. Sautéed leeks add a mild onion flavor that you’ll love.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure statement.
Why This Bacon and Cheese Egg Bake is Worth Making
Everyone loves it! This tasty combination of crispy potatoes, bacon, sausage, cheese, leeks and eggs is always a hit.
Easy to Make – Just cook the bacon, sausage and leeks, brown the tater tots, and put the ingredients together in a baking dish and bake. No special equipment needed!
Make it in advance – You can prepare this tasty sausage and bacon breakfast casserole up to 2 days ahead of time, making it a perfect recipe for a brunch gathering or the holidays.
A meal in itself – With the eggs, potatoes and breakfast meats in one hearty dish, all you need is a beverage to round out the meal.
Gluten free – This recipe is perfect for those trying to avoid gluten.Always check the packaging for prepared ingredients like bacon, sausage and hash browns package to make sure the product is gluten free.
Versatile – You can add or change the ingredients to suit your tastes. See a full list of recipe variations below.
Ingredients You’ll Need
1 pound regular sliced bacon – Feel free to use your favorite brand, and thick sliced will work fine in this recipe, too.
1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage
2 medium leeks
8 large eggs
1/3 cup milk – whole milk or 2% works best in this recipe
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese – I like the pronounced cheesy flavor of sharp cheddar, but you can use medium cheddar, Colby, or your favorite cheese blend.
1 32-ounce bag of frozen tater tots (about 40 tots) – I used the flat tater tots for this recipe, but you can use the cylindrical ones, too.
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon butter – salted or unsalted is fine.
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Large skillet
- Cutting board
- Sharp Knife
- Heatproof spoon
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Cooking spray
- Paper towels
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Spread the tater tots in a single layer on the baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes. Turn each tater tot over and continue cooking until crispy and brown, about 7 more minutes.
While the tater tots are baking, cook the chopped bacon in a skillet over medium heat.
Drain on paper towels. Wipe out the skillet and brown the sausage over medium heat.
Drain on paper towels. Wipe out the skillet and add 1 tablespoon butter. Heat until melted over medium heat. Add the chopped leeks and cook until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Reserve.
Remove the tater tots from the oven and lower the temperature to 375 degrees. Cool the tater tots for about 10 minutes. Arrange the tater tots in the prepared baking dish.
Tuck the bacon pieces between the tater tots. Crumble the sausage finely and sprinkle on top. Sprinkle the cooked leeks evenly on top. Whisk the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the tots.
Sprinkle with the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Cook until eggs are set and top is browned, about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and serve.
Pro Recipe Tips
To make the casserole ahead of time, assemble the tater tots, bacon, sausage and leeks but don’t add the egg mixture or cheese. Store everything in the refrigerator tightly covered until you’re ready to cook. Pour the egg mixture over the casserole, top with the shredded cheese and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until the eggs are set, about 35-40 minutes.
Healthier Tater Tot Casserole – Use extra virgin olive oil to cook the leeks instead of butter. Substitute 2% cheese and reduce the amount to 1 1/2 cups. Use low-fat milk.
Loaded Tater Tot Casserole – Add 1/2 cup sour cream to the egg mixture and bake according to directions. Garnish the finished casserole with chopped green onions.
Spicy Tater Tot Casserole – Use spicy sausage instead of breakfast sausage, and substitute pepperjack cheese for some or all of the cheddar.
Dairy Free – Simply substitute water for the milk in this recipe, and use olive oil instead of butter to cook the leeks.
Jalapeno Tater Tot Casserole – Seed and dice two large jalapeno peppers, and add them to the leeks in the skillet during the last two minutes of cooking. Add with the leeks and proceed.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Allow the dish to come to room temperature. Cover tightly and store the leftover breakfast casserole bacon potatoes dish in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the casserole with a few drops of water to rehydate. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and cook until heated through, about 15-20 minutes.
Try Some of Our Other Popular Bacon Recipes
Here are some more bacon recipes you might enjoy:
Here’s the full, printable recipe:
Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Sausage
- Large skillet
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Heatproof cooking spoon
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Cooking spray
- paper towels
- Cooling rack
- Serving spoon or spatula
- 1 32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 1 pound regular sliced bacon cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 small leeks white and pale green parts only, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Spread the tater tots in a single layer on the baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes. Turn each tater tot over and continue cooking until crispy and brown, about 7 more minutes.
- While the tater tots are baking, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Drain grease, wipe out the skillet, crumble the sausage and brown it over medium heat. Drain on paper towels.
- Drain grease, wipe out the skillet, and add 1 tablespoon butter. Heat until melted over medium heat. Add the chopped leeks and cook until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Reserve.
- Remove the tater tots from the oven and lower the temperature to 375 degrees. Cool the tater tots for about 10 minutes. Arrange the tater tots in the prepared baking dish.
- Tuck the bacon pieces between the tater tots. Crumble the sausage finely and sprinkle on top. Sprinkle the cooked leeks evenly on top.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the tots.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese.
- Cook until eggs are set and top is browned, about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and serve.
Got questions? Just ask! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this easy breakfast casserole with bacon recipe, I’d be thrilled if you clicked the little stars above and gave the recipe a 5-star rating.
You might also enjoy the web story for this easy breakfast bake recipe.
If you post your creations on social media, tag #BENSABaconLovers so I can share! Thank you for your support. – Eliza
Nutrition Disclaimer: All nutritional information shared on this site is an approximation. I am not a certified nutritionist, and any nutritional information should be used as a general guideline.
Pin for Later
If you use Pinterest to save and share ideas, here’s a handy pin: