Now you can cook curly bacon in the oven and get the fun look of pan-fried wavy bacon with this simple trick! It’s super easy, the bacon cooks evenly, and you’ll get curly bacon that looks great on the plate!
One of our favorite ways to cook bacon is baking it in the oven. The only downside is that baked bacon tends to stay very flat. Flat bacon is perfect if you’re making a sandwich, but sometimes you want curly, wavy bacon to pile on a tray for a party or a brunch buffet.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure statement.
- Baking Sheet
- An oven-safe baking rack
- Aluminum foil
Step by Step Directions for Oven-Cooked Wavy Bacon
Here’s how to make groovy, squiggly bacon that looks great and tastes even better.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and line a baking pan with foil. Tear off a sheet of foil about 3 inches longer than the long edge of the baking sheet and cut it in 3 long strips. Use your hands to gently crush and shape the strips to make three long snakes, like this:
Now lay the bacon on the pan, shaping the bacon gently around the foil pieces. It’s easiest if you use one bacon slice on each end to anchor the foil.
Now you can arrange the rest of the bacon slices on the pan.
Pop the pan in the preheated oven and bake it. Your baking time will depend on the thickness of your bacon. Regular sliced bacon should be done in 15 to 20 minutes.
Here in the BENSA test kitchen, we used Wright’s thick-sliced hickory smoked bacon.
Our baking time was about 28 minutes. Here’s how it looked in the pan:
Peek on the bacon about halfway through cooking. If the ends of your bacon strips are starting to overcook, just cover them with a strip of foil to prevent over-browning. Your bacon will be perfect!
Let’s get cooking! Here’s the recipe for Curly Bacon:
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 oven baking rack
- aluminum foil
- aluminum foil
- 8 strips thick sliced bacon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil. Top with an oven-safe baking rack.
- Tear off 3 sheets of aluminum foil 2 inches longer than the baking sheet. Use your hands to form each piece into a "snake' that is the length of the baking sheet and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Lay the foil snakes on the baking rack, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Arrange one piece of bacon on the foil snakes, using your fingers to shape it so it lays over the foil in waves.
- Arrange another piece of bacon on the opposite end of the foil snakes, repeating the process so it lays over the foil in a wavy design.
- Arrange the remaining bacon strips on the foil.
- Bake until bacon is golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. (The exact time will vary depending on the thickness of your bacon.)
- Drain on paper towels and serve.
Are you on Pinterest? You can share or save the recipe with this pin:
Let’s keep this party going! BENSA would love to connect with you on social media:
We love seeing your bacon culinary creations! If you prepare this recipe and post a photo, tag us on Instagram at @bensabaconlovers or use the #BensaBaconLovers hashtag.
If you prepare Wavy Bacon, we’d love to hear what you think in the comments section of this post!
Your friends at BENSA