Dear bacon lovers,
Brussel Sprouts with bacon are having a moment. More and more we’re seeing this dish in restaurants and pubs.
When they’re cooked just right, Brussel sprouts are a wondrous vegetable to behold – tender, flavorful, and with just a hint of natural sweetness.
Perhaps, though, you’ve experienced overcooked sprouts that were less than stellar. Brussel sprouts contain glucosinolates, healthy nutrients that begin to release a sulfur smell during cooking. This process begins after about five minutes, so the trick is to steam the sprouts for five minutes and then finish them off in a hot pan to sear their tender goodness without overcooking.
The easy preparation features lightly steamed sprouts finished in a large skillet with crispy, crunchy bacon.
Here’s the simple process, which caramelizes the sprouts and brings out their nutty flavor:
- Cut the sprouts in half and steam them for five minutes.
- Cook chopped bacon in a large skillet while the Brussel sprouts steam.
- Add the sprouts to the pan and cook until the sprouts start to brown.
- Add garlic and continue cooking until the sprouts and bacon are browned.
Preparing Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts
The first step is to wash the sprouts well, trim the stems and cut them in half.
Fit a steamer basket or insert in a medium pot, add about 1 inch of water, and bring to a boil. Add the sprouts to the steamer, cover, set your timer, and steam them for exactly five minutes.
While the sprouts are steaming, cook 8 slices of chopped bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often.
Drain the sprouts well in a colander, shake to remove any additional water, and add them to the pan with the bacon.
Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is almost crispy and Brussels sprouts are starting to brown. Add one clove of peeled, minced garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the bacon and sprouts are nicely browned.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a serving dish or plates. This recipe makes about 6 servings.
Here’s the complete recipe:
Bacon and Brussel Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 8 strips thick-sliced bacon chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- freshly ground pepper
- In a steamer over boiling water, steam the Brussels Sprouts for exactly five minutes.
- While the sprouts are steaming, begin cooking the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often.
- Drain the sprouts, shaking the strainer well. Add the sprouts to the skillet.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until bacon is almost crispy and Brussels sprouts are starting to brown.
- Add one clove of peeled, minced garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until bacon and sprouts are browned. Remove from heat, and serve hot. Makes 6 servings.
~ Your friends at BENSA